Designed to blend in with your other teeth better than other tooth replacement options, dental implants are an effective way to replace missing teeth. More than just filling space, they help fill the lives of patients that have suffered far too long from having incomplete teeth. Thanks to dental implants, patients can smile again without feeling conscious and eat their favourite food without any consequence.
Given just how awesome dental implants are, here are a couple of amazing facts about dental implants that you definitely would want to know:
- You can thank rabbits for dental implants – Did you know that rabbits were a tremendous help to the development of titanium implants? Back in the 1950s, Swedish surgeon Per-Ingvar Brånemark was studying the healing properties of bone when he decided to place titanium implants into the femurs of rabbits. After quite some time, he tried to remove the implants. However, he found out that the rabbit’s bone had already bonded to the titanium, making them near impossible to remove.
- Implants are good for your jawbone – The human body is basically made up of cells, including our bones. As the cells grow older and die, the human body produces new and younger ones to replace them. This is exactly why people can heal from wounds and broken bones. And, with the jawbone, your teeth are responsible for stimulating and encouraging the production of new cells to keep the jaw healthy. This means that if you have missing teeth, your jaws aren’t going to be as healthy as they should be. But, with dental implants, the artificial teeth can provide the same kind of stimulation that helps keep your jaws strong and healthy.
- Implants fuse with your bone – Once it’s placed inside your mouth, the titanium post that serves as the base of the implant fuses with your jawbone overtime. Consequently, this is what makes dental implants the longest-lasting tooth restoration treatment available to-date. And, unlike with crowns, bridges and dentures, you’re not just restoring a part of your tooth, you’re actually replacing the actual tooth root.
- They’re practically immune to cavities – Now, what could be better than the fact that dental implants are permanent, have a 98 percent success rate and very stable? Well, how about the fact that they can’t decay, ever? It’s true. Because the implant itself is artificial, you won’t have to worry about it getting decay anytime soon. However, the same can’t be said for the surrounding teeth and gum tissues. So, you’ll still want to brush and floss around your implant, and see your dentist regularly for check-ups and cleanings.
- You can replace all your teeth with implants – Most people don’t know this, but you can actually replace all of your teeth with implants. Implant-supported dentures use implants for support, resulting in a more comfortable and stable fit compared to traditional dentures.
If you’re missing a tooth or two, don’t wait too long! Visit Dr. George Kirtley to see if you’re a good candidate for dental implants and see the benefits of these long-term tooth replacement solutions yourself. Call today at 317-841-1111 or visit the website at www.smilesbygeorge.com